The Writing Center's mission is to help students become better readers and writers. Our goal is to "Help writers Help Themselves," so that you can improve your work overall. We offer, in a manner that does not intrude upon the student/teacher relationship, individual and group tutorials. During this, we work on issues ranging from developing a thesis to refining mechanics and documentation style.
The Writing Center is for all Armstrong students. You can come in with any type of writing assignment at any stage of the process. We can help you understand the assignment, plan your paper, help you organize and help you revise your work. We can even help you learn to proofread for your most common mistakes.
- Step 1: Make an appointment by calling us at 912.344.3072, emailing us at email@example.com, or stopping by in person at Gamble 123. Appointments are made for 30 minute sessions. Walk-ins are welcome, but if you come in without an appointment, we cannot guarantee that a tutor will be available. Please arrive on time. If you are more than ten minutes late, your appointment may be given to a walk-in.
- Step 2: When you arrive for your appointment, sign in at the front desk.
- Step 3: When you meet with a tutor, bring your assignment and any related materials. Explain to the tutor exactly what you want to work on during the session. You and the tutor will work together on the problems.
- Step 4: As desired, stop at the front desk and make a follow-up appointment.
Writing center assistants will:
- help you understand your assignments
and your instructor's expectations.
- read your work at any stage.
- provide constructive feedback on your writing.
- discuss ways to make writing more effective.
- offer guidance with organization.
- help you learn to word process.
- help you find your error patterns.
- be honest and sincere.
- offer encouragement and support.
Writing center assistants will not:
- type a paper for you.
- proofread or edit a paper for you.
- take responsibility for any stage of your paper
Missed Appointment Policy
The Writing Center works hard to fulfill all client's needs. Every appointment slot missed by clients who schedule them deprives others of our services. We reserve the right to refuse making appointments to any client who repeatedly misses scheduled appointments. Students will still be free to come in as walk-ins.
The Writing Center offers classroom visitations to give presentations on topics such as brainstorming topics, effective writing, conducting research, citing in specific style guidelines, or simply to inform students about our services. If you would like to schedule a classroom visitation or would like to bring your class to us, please contact us at least one week ahead of schedule.
Many professors enjoy offering extra credit to students who come utilize our services, or alternatively requiring their students to do so. If you would like to do this, please contact us ahead of time so we can make a note of what what to expect.