Verification is the process to confirm that the data reported on a FAFSA is accurate. The Federal Department of Education selects students at random for this process. Approximately, one in three applicants is selected. Armstrong will contact the student to request documentation that supports income and other information that was reported on the FAFSA.
The following information is verified during the review process:
- Adjusted gross income (AGI)
- U.S. income tax paid
- Education credits
- Untaxed IRA distributions
- Untaxed pensions
- IRA deductions and payments
- Tax-exempt interest
- Income earned from work
- Household size
- Number in college
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly food stamps)
- Child support paid
- High school completion status
- Identity/statement of educational purpose
The following documentation is required to complete verification:
- An IRS tax return transcript for the student and spouse or parents, as applicable, to document AGI, taxes paid, and untaxed income.
- A letter of non-filing from the IRS or a signed and dated statement, if applicable, to certifying that you did not file, were not required to file, and listing all sources of income.
- A copy of each W-2 form for each person whose tax information is on the FAFSA
- Verification Worksheet (signed by student and parent if applicable)
- Credit Benefits Worksheet (signed by student and parent if applicable)
The following documentation may also be requested to complete verification:
- A copy of the student high school diploma or transcript, GED certificate, college transcript showing 2-year program completion, or home school transcript
- A copy of the student original government-issued ID and signed statement of educational purpose in or a copy of that ID and the statement notarized
- In-Kind Support worksheet (signed by student and spouse or parent)
Links to the forms needed for the verification process are availble via the student's Port & SHIP accounts or may be printed from the Financial Aid forms page. This documenation may be submitted via fax, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, mail or in person.