Applying for Graduate Assistantship
Departmental supervisors requesting a Graduate Assistant (GA) for their department or program must do so on an annual basis by filling out and submitting the Departmental Graduate Assistant position request form. All requests must be submitted to the Office of the Provost by the deadline of March 1.
Justification should address as many of the listed criteria as possible and should be thorough, detailed, and as compelling as possible. Please attach any supporting documents. All requests are dependent on available funding.
- Provides opportunities for enhancing expertise and professionalism within the disciplines (e.g., research protocols, administrative techniques).
- Provides evidence of mentoring/supervision of GA, process of evaluation of performance of GA, and process of evaluation of contributions to the student, discipline, or university.
- Meets program development needs, including current department needs and future departmental plans.
- There is a demonstrated need for faculty research assistance.
- There are unique department/office needs requiring the help of a graduate assistant (e.g., conference planning, editorial assistance, data analysis, outside grant assistance).
Hiring a Graduate Assistant
Students interested in an assistantship submit an application to the office of the Associate Provost (Burnett 113). Supervisors may look through the applications to find students who may have the experience needed for their position. Supervisors then interview the selected applicants and notify the office of the Associate Provost when they have made a choice. Supervisors may also identify students through their department that they want to hire as graduate assistants. Supervisors should notify the Enrollment Services Office of their choice. All students who are hired as graduate assistants must fill out a GA application.
Eligibility, Compensation & Terms of Employment
Please review the material about Graduate Assistantships provided for the students.