What is Safe Space?
Safe Space is a three-hour workshop to raise awareness and knowledge of LGBTQ issues and suggest ways to serve as an ally to LGBTQ individuals. Following the workshop, participants receive a Safe Space decal to display in their workspace, indicating to the campus community that they are knowledgeable and supportive allies.
Safe Space Learning Outcomes
- Recognize appropriate and inclusive language regarding sex, gender and sexual orientation
- Identify challenges specific to LGBTQ students
- Name federal, state, local and Armstrong policies that concern the LGBTQ community
- Identify biases around issues of sex, gender and sexual orientation
- Describe strategies to support LGBTQ students and to respond to anti-LGBTQ behavior
- Identify resources for LGBTQ individuals on campus, in the community and online