Respondus LockDown Browser (RLDB) is launched from the quiz tool in the Armstrong eClassroom (D2L). Now when taking a quiz using the RLDB, open a regular browser (Safari, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, or Microsoft Edge) go to the course and launch the quiz. If the Respondus LockDown Browser (RLDB) is not already installed on the computer, the progam can be downloaded from here. The RLDB will only be needed if a professor requires it to be used for taking the quiz.
LockDown Browser shouldn't be started manually. Use a standard browser (eg. Chrome, IE, Firefox, etc.) to navigate to the exam and LockDown Browser will launch automatically when it's required.
What is Respondus LockDown Browser?
Respondus LockDown Browser is a tool that provides a way for students to take a test (assessment) without being able to get to another web browser. Respondus LockDown Browser works much like a standard browser, but some options have been removed or work differently.
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized.
- Assessments cannot be exited until submitted by users for grading.
- Task switching or access to other applications is prevented.
- Printing functions are disabled.
- Print Screen and capturing functions are disabled.
- Copying and pasting anything to and from an assessment is prohibited.
- Right-click menu options are disabled.
- Browser menu and toolbar options are disabled, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop.
- Function keys are disabled.
- Source code for the HTML page cannot be viewed.
- Screen capture, messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machine, and network monitoring applications are blocked from running.
- The browser automatically starts at the login page for the institution’s course management system.
- URLs cannot be typed by the user.
- External links don’t compromise the “locked” testing environment.
- Pages from the assessment aren’t cached or stored in Internet Explorer’s history listing.
- Assessments that are set up for use with Respondus LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers.
Ready to Get Started?
To begin using Respondus LockDown Browser, please select the appropriate guide below.
What to do if a Quiz freezes before submission?
If a user's quiz freezes while using the RLDB, immediately shut down the computer and try to log back into the quiz. Most likely if there is time available, the quiz will allow a student back into the quiz.
Reasons why a quiz freezes while using the RLDB:
- Internet connection has been lost.
- Time has expired - if this occurs, please contact the professor.
- Computer battery has no charge.
To Install Respondus LockDown Browser:
What requirements are needed for Respondus LockDown Browser?
Respondus Lockdown Browser requires Internet Explorer 7 or higher installed on MS Window OS or Safari on Mac OS
- Windows 10, 8, 7
- Mac OS 10.7 or higher - Safari
- iOS: 7.0 + (iPad only). Must have a compatible LMS integration.
For assistance contact the IT Services Helpdesk by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone: 912.478.2287