Advisor Roles and Responsibilities
Advisors play an important role in the success of a student group. We, in the Office of Student Life, applaud your commitment to these students. Research has shown that when students are involved outside the classroom, they are more likely to continue their education, succeed academically and gain tolerance for diversity. Your part in the students' development is invaluable and appreciated.
Students will need your guidance and support to organize, make decisions and evaluate their organization. The roles and responsibilities listed below were developed to provide basic guidelines for the advisors of Armstrong's student organizations. Please contact the student life office if you have questions regarding these. We'll be happy to assist you in any way that we can.
- Provide encouragement, consultation and advice for organization officers and members when needed
- Be responsive to student needs.
- Stay up to date on organization's activities
- Promote organizational growth and group development
- Mediate internal disputes or problems
- Assist in goal setting and organization assessment
- Serve as a liaison between the university and the organization
- Interpret and apply university policy and procedure as it applies to the organization
- Obtain approval for the use of university facilities and equipment
- Be familiar with and assist with the organization's financial management
- Attend meetings and functions when possible
- Ensure that all organization information on file or included on the student life web page is accurate and updated regularly
- Provide a historical perspective and continuity for current and future members