Bachelor of Fine Arts in Visual Art
The Bachelor of Fine Arts in Visual Art (B.F.A.) is based on a liberal arts core that prepares our students with a foundation for understanding the artist's role in western culture, as well as the intellectual skills to produce and critically evaluate artistic production. This degree requires study in various means of artistic production, combined with instruction in art history, art criticism and aesthetics.
The degree program includes a significant block of elective hours, which allows ample opportunity for our students to develop specializations in photography, computer art, painting, drawing, ceramics, graphic design, sculpture, or fiber arts. The B.F.A. focuses on the individual student's selected area of specialization more intensely than does the Bachelor of Arts degree. This is accomplished through additional upper-level studio courses focusing on art production and art history, culminating in a capstone exhibition following work on a B.F.A. project.
Career OpportunitiesBecause of the flexibility of the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Visual Art at Armstrong, our students are able to develop the varied skills in art that are required in today's dynamic job market. Armstrong graduates, among other careers, have been and are currently employed as:
- professional artists and craft persons in art galleries and museums
- photographers and photographic technicians
- teachers in public and private schools
- educators in non-academic public service programs
Local institutions and employers include:
- Savannah-Chatham County and other regional school districts
- The Corps of Engineers
- The Marine Extension Center of the University of Georgia
- Memorial Medical Center
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- Oatland Island Educational Center
- The Roundhouse Museum of Savannah
- The Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Gulfstream Aerospace
- City of Savannah Department of Cultural Affairs
- Armstrong Atlantic State University
In addition to leading directly to employment, the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Visual Art provides the basis for further professional education at the Master of Fine Arts level. Our graduates have successfully pursued Master of Fine Arts degrees in the fields of ceramics, drawing and painting, photography, fiber arts, and digital art and Master of Education degrees in art education.