LGBTQ News and Events
PFLAG Savannah Mom Shares her Powerful Story
(August 3, 2012) Phyllis Panhorst was featured in PFLAG National's Focus on the Field blog. Phyllis is a PFLAG Savannah mom and advisor to the local LGBTQ youth group, Stand Out Youth (SOY).
Sexual Identity and Religion Speaker Series
November 1, 7 p.m. (Student Union Ballroom C)
The kick-off event for the series will be Rabbi Robert Haas of Congregation Mickve Israel addressing the needs of the LGBTQ community and the responsibility of the Jewish Community to continue and extend necessitated support.
November 8, 7 p.m. (Ogeechee Theater) - Hidden Voices, The Lives of LGBT Muslims
At age 19, while trying to reconcile his sexuality with his faith, Faisal Alam organized the first-ever gathering of LGBT Muslims, which led to the founding of Al-Fatiha, an organization dedicated to supporting and empowering lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex & questioning (LGBTIQ) Muslims, and their allies. Alam will discuss his experience being a member of the LGBTQ Community as well as Pakistani Muslim (this event is open to the public). Watch the Video
November 15, 7 p.m. (Solms Hall room 108) - Film: "For the Bible Tells Me So"
Can the love between two people ever be an abomination? Is the chasm separating gays and lesbians and Christianity too wide to cross? Is the Bible an excuse to hate? Through the experiences of five very normal, very Christian, very American families, we discover how insightful people of faith handle the realization of having a gay child. “For the Bible Tells Me So” offers healing, clarity and understanding to anyone caught in the crosshairs of scripture and sexual identity.
LGBTQ Diversity Film Series
The LGBTQ Diversity Film Series will resume in Fall 2012. Past themes have included: the intersection of homophobia and racism, lesbian activism, religion and conversion therapy, marriage equality and adoption rights, coming out, and multicultural diversity within the LGBTQ community. Please check back here for updates! All of our films are distributed by Frameline of San Francisco.
- Tongues Untied
- No Secret Anymore: The Times of Del Martin and Phyllis Lyon
- Abomination: Homosexuality and the Ex-Gay Movement
- Out in the Heartland
- Same Difference
- Coming to Terms
- 7 Years
- Act of Faith
- Two Spirits
The Armstrong Gay-Straight Alliance meets every Wednesday at 8:00 pm in University Hall room 156.
Safe Space Workshops
All workshops are from 12-2:30pm in the Skidaway Meeting Room located in the Student Union:
- August 28th
- September 25th
- October 30th (the only workshop taking place in Tybee Conference room for the semester)
- November 8th proposed speaker Faisil Alam “Hidden Voices” Ogeechee Theatre and pre-function area for reception 7-10pm. In conjunction with International Education Week and International Studies Office
- November 20th final workshop of the semester(FACULTY)
- December 6th Winter Session (Student Affairs, Staff, Administrators)
- December 18th Lunch and Learn for Faculty and Staff- specifically for LGBTQ Faculty, Staff and Allies, and Safe Space appreciation 12-2pm SSC Ballroom A