Interprofessional Health Professions Collaboration

Speech Language Pathologist

Required Education & Licensure

A master’s degree and a passing score on the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association and state examinations is required for entry level employment. 

What do they do?

Speech-language pathologists (SLPs) have the expertise to help individuals with a variety of communication disorders. SLPs may work with individuals with developmental delays, such as autism spectrum disorders, Down syndrome, and cerebral palsy; language-learning disabilities; stuttering; and speech sound production errors, such as a "lisp." SLPs also routinely assist in the recoveries of people who have had head injuries, strokes, and cancers of the head and neck. Still others who benefit from these services are individuals learning English as a second language and those who seek to improve their communication skills for the corporate world. SLPs assist individuals of all ages by working with them and their families in their schools, their hospitals, their homes... anywhere they need communication facilitation. See program description at Armstrong Communication Sciences and Disorders.

Where do they work?

Speech language pathologists may work in a variety of settings such as schools, hospitals, clinics, rehabilitation centers, nursing homes, home health care, and private practices.

Professional Associations

American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Opens New Window


The mean annual wage for speech-language pathologists was $73,970 in May 2013 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.