College of Health Professions
Strategic Goal 1
Goal 1.1 COHP will provide the highest quality education possible to our students and stimulate the critical thinking skills necessary for practice and leadership in the health professions.
- Stgy 1.1.1 The college will promote interdisciplinary teaching wherever possible and use the Interdisciplinary Committee as a venue for communication and discussion
- Stgy 1.1.2 Whenever possible, the college will provide incentives for innovation in teaching methods as part of the faculty evaluation process
- Stgy 1.1.3 The college will promote leadership concepts within the curriculum
- Stgy 1.1.4 The college will conduct an on-going evaluation of curriculum to seek opportunities for enhancement and to encourage critical thinking skills
Goal 1.2 COHP will continue to study and be responsive to professional workforce issues in each discipline.
- Stgy 1.2.1 The college will continue ongoing dialog with local and regional health care providers regarding health professions workforce needs and solutions to those needs
- Stgy 1.2.2 The college will continue to interact with state and national organizations regarding Health Professions workforce
- Stgy 1.2.3 The dean and the department heads will utilize advisory committees to assess the adequacy of preparation of students
- Stgy 1.2.4 The dean and department heads will consider opportunities to train future faculty as a means to address the current faculty shortages
Goal 1.3. COHP students and faculty will have international educational opportunities.
- Stgy 1.3.1 The College of Health Professions will promote opportunities in medically underserved countries for students and faculty
- Stgy 1.3.2 The College of Health Professions will promote educational opportunities in international healthcare settings
Goal 1.4 COHP will promote and reward service activities.
- Stgy 1.4.1 The college will develop a statement of service expectations of its faculty, taking into account the characteristics of each discipline
- Stgy 1.4.2 Each faculty member will develop a profile of service interests
- Stgy 1.4.3 The college will review and refine the COHP Tenure and Promotion document to more clearly define teaching, scholarship/research, and service requirements and expectations for tenure and promotion
Strategic Goal 2
Goal 2.1 COHP will foster an environment that promotes scholarly activity.
- Stgy 2.1.1 The dean's office will monitor faculty workloads and do an annual assessment of workloads in an effort to maximize faculty effectiveness
- Stgy 2.1.2 The college will use recruitment strategies that attract a high quality and diverse applicant pool of faculty members for all departments
- Stgy 2.1.3 Each department will maintain a faculty mentoring system for new faculty to benefit from the teaching experience of more established faculty
- Stgy 2.1.4 The dean and department heads will disseminate information about faculty developemnt and/or leadership opportunities as these become available and seek resources to make such opportunities available to faculty
- Stgy 2.1.5 The dean and department heads will respond to university award opportunities to recognize faculty excellence
- Stgy 2.1.6 The dean and department heads will establish guidelines for faculty practice, where appropriate, as a means to keep faculty clinical skills current
Goal 2.2 COHP will promote integration of scholarship into educational activities.
- Stgy 2.2.1 The College of Health Professions will continue to promote, within the curriculum, the concept that all students become good consumers of research
- Stgy 2.2.2 The college will continue, or develop, events that promote student research within the context of the curriculum
Goal 2.3 COHP will foster an environment that promotes scholarly activity.
- Stgy 2.3.1 The dean and department heads will mentor individual faculty to promote and balance successful scholarship activities with teaching and service as appropriate for the college and Armstrong's tenure and promotion requirements
- Stgy 2.3.2 The faculty mentoring system described in Strategy 1.2.3 will be used to promote scholarship as well
- Stgy 2.3.3 The dean and department heads will disseminate information about scholarship opportunities
- Stgy 2.3.4 The dean will appoint a Scholarship Committee to assess the scholarship mission of the College of Health Professions
- Stgy 2.3.5 The College of Health Professions will continue to seek distinguished speakers
Strategic Goal 3
Goal 3.1 COHP faculty and students will effectively use technology for productivity, scholarship, communication, and development.
- Stgy 3.1.1 The college will maintain the position of "Director of Educational Technology," who reports to the dean.
- Stgy 3.1.2 The Director of Educational Technology will set instructional will set instructional technology goals for the College of Health Professions
- Stgy 3.1.3 Through the Director of Education Technology, the college will promote appropriate use of technology in the classroom, the clinic, and for distance learning
- Stgy 3.1.4 Improve dissemination of committee reports, clinical site contracts, and other important issues using technology as appropriate
Goal 3.2 COHP will increase awareness of the health professions and professional careers.
- Stgy 3.2.1 The College of Health Professions will develop a marketing plan
- Stgy 3.2.2 The dean will promote the college at public events and opportunities whenever possible
Goal 3.3 COHP will develop and maintain partnerships within the community and the health professions to promote service opportunities.
- Stgy 3.3.1 The college will continue to assess Continuing Education needs of its professions and seek appropriate ways to respond to those needs
- Stgy 3.3.2 The dean, department heads and faculty, as appropriate, will respond to opportunities to serve on local, state and/or national committees/boards within their disciplines
- Stgy 3.3.3 The dean will maintain dialog with local health care systems regarding the role the College of Health Professions can play as a service partner for the community
Strategic Goal 4
Goal 4.1 COHP will provide adequate resources and facilities to promote excellence in teaching.
- Stgy 4.1.1 The college will place a high priority on classroom and laboratory equipment and technology when considering utilization of new resources
- Stgy 4.1.2 The dean will have an ongoing dialog with higher administration to seek improved physical resources for the college including, but not limited to, a new building
- Stgy 4.1.3 The college will maintain open communication regarding sharing of space where appropriate
- Stgy 4.1.4 The college will explore the designation of "clinical faculty" status within the full time faculty
Goal 4.2 COHP will actively pursue the acquisition of resources to support scholarly activity.
- Stgy 4.2.1 A policy will be developed that addresses workload adjustments for faculty who secure extramural funding for scholarship activities
- Stgy 4.2.2 A policy will be developed to return indirect costs from extramural funding to the department
- Stgy 4.2.3 Ongoing dialog with healthcare providers will include discussion of opportunities for scholarship collaboration
- Stgy 4.2.4 The dean's office will work with the office of Sponsored Programs to monitor grant opportunities
Strategic Goal 5
Goal 5.1 COHP will develop and maintain partnerships within the community and the health professions to promote service opportunities.
- Stgy 5.1.1 The college will continue to assess Continuing Education needs of its professions and seek appropriate ways to respond to those needs
- Stgy 5.1.2 The dean, department heads, and faculty, as appropriate, will respond to opportunities to serve on local, state, and/or national committees/boards within their disciplines
- Stgy 5.1.3 The dean will maintain dialog with local healthcare systems regarding the role the College of Health Professions can play as a service partner for the community
Strategic Plans for each Department:
Department of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Sciences