Childhood & Exceptional Student Education
Childhood and Exceptional Student Education Main Menu
Graduate Admissions Coordinator
University Hall 271
Master of Education (M. Ed.) in Special Education
Before applying for admission to the Master of Education in Special Education program, individuals should determine if they are eligible or can become eligible by examining the following minimum academic and professional requirements:
- An earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution.*
- A minimum overall undergraduate grade point average of 3.00 OR in most recent degree.
- Documented T-4 certification or equivalent state-issued, clear, renewable teaching certificate in special education.
- One (1) completed and signed College of Education initial disposition assessment form.
- A letter of intent (following the College of Education’s approved format).
- A College of Education’s Employment Verification Form signed by the appropriate school representative or criminal background check as directed by the College of Education
The above are minimum academic, test score or professional requirements only. Read the entire application checklist to determine what documents must be included in your submission.
Application for admission to the Master of Education in Special Education program is a two-step process: application to the University Office of Graduate Admissions and a separate application to the College of Education. The required documents are included in the following two checklists:
Office of Graduate Admissions Application Checklist
- Graduate Admissions Application
- Payment of Application Fee
- Certificate of immunization 221K
- Lawful presence verification 360K (required for all applicants requesting in-state tuition)
One (1) official transcript 26K from all schools -- undergraduate and graduate -- where degrees were earned or work was done (Official transcripts must be in a sealed envelope from the institution.)
The preferred method of delivery is electronic. Schools that issue official transcripts electronically should submit them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Official transcripts can be mailed directly to Graduate Admissions from the attende
College of Education Submission Checklist
- COE Letter of Intent by the applicant (using the required format)
- One (1) Initial Disposition Assessment -- using the proper form [and coming under separate cover from the reference. The assessment should be completed by a current or former supervisor, colleague, or faculty member. Initial disposition assessments take the place of letters of recommendation.
- Evidence of T-4 certification or equivalent state-issued clear, renewable teaching in special education or eligibility for certification
- Signed Employment Verification Form (only if applicant if a full-time teacher of record in a Georgia public school) OR current, clear background check through CertifiedBackground.com
*Note: PSC-accepted accredited institutions are those that are accredited by accrediting organizations recognized by either the U.S. Department of Education or The Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).