Childhood & Exceptional Student Education
Childhood and Exceptional Student Education Main Menu
Graduate Admissions Coordinator
College of Education
University Hall 271
Reading Endorsement Program
This program is designed for educators who seek to add the Reading Endorsement to a renewable teaching certificate.
Teachers pursuing the reading endorsement may be enrolled as non-degree students or may be enrolled in specific programs. All three courses can be transferred into the Master of Education in Reading Specialist Education program or Master of Education in Early Childhood Education. All candidates must be admitted through Graduate Admissions and through the College of Education.
Non-reading teachers benefit from this program because research indicates that reading achievement is greater when students are taught by teachers who complete a preparation program on reading instruction.
- Develop reading teachers, kindergarten through grade twelve, who teach using research-based effective teaching practices.
- Develop highly skilled reading teachers who can
- Demonstrate and explain explicitly an understanding of readers and the reading process.
- Demonstrate and explain explicitly linking reading assessment to instruction.
- Demonstrate and explain explicitly instructional reading practices used in the content areas.
Courses & Requirements
The program of study consists of three online courses totaling nine (9) semester hours. You must complete RDEN 7070 before the other two courses.
You may begin this program in any semester. Please see the plan of study/course rotation schedule for semester specific details.