Secondary, Adult & Physical Education
Secondary, Adult & Physical Education Main Menu
Department of Adolescent
and Adult Education
University Hall 201
About the Degree
Bachelor of Science (B.S.Ed.) in MIddle Grades Education
Format: On Campus
Credits: 124 Semester Hours
The program in Middle Grades Education provides the student with a degree leading to teacher certification 4-8 in two of the following areas: Language Arts; Mathematics; Social Sciences; Science.
The Bachelor of Science in Middle Grades Education program is designed to allow students to gain experience throughout matriculation to work with local teachers and students to enhance their knowledge and skills required to evaluate, plan, and provide research-based effective learning experiences to diverse students grades 4 – 8.
Alumni from the Middle Grades Education program are currently working or have worked in the public and private school systems throughout southeast Georgia, the states and nation as:
- Middle Grades teachers
- Lead teachers
- Assistant principals
- Team leaders
Plan of Study
The program of study has been designed to provide program completers with the knowledge and skills required to evaluate, plan, and provide appropriate learning experiences to 4-8 students.
Program completers will accomplish the following objectives:
- Developmentally responsive: Using the distinctive nature of young adolescents as the foundation upon which all decisions about school organization, policies, curriculum, instruction, and assessment are made.
- Challenging: Ensuring that every student learns and every member of the learning community is held to high expectations.
- Empowering: Providing all students with the knowledge and skills they need to take responsibility for their lives, to address life's challenges, to function successfully at all levels of society, and to be creators of knowledge.
- Equitable: Advocating for and ensuring every student's right to learn and providing appropriately challenging and relevant learning opportunities for every student.
Students will accomplish the following objectives:
- Demonstrate appropriate professional written and oral teaching methodologies.
- Demonstrate effective classroom preparation for management and instructional purposes
- Demonstrates appropriate Content Knowledge
Graduates from this program are recognized as:
- Reflective Decision Makers
- Proficient in the content of their chosen teaching fields
- Respect diversity
- Recognize the importance of collaboration
- Value the need for authentic assessment
- Realize the merit of reflection
- Value technologies
Note: It is the student’s responsibility to adhere to the criteria for each decision point, to initiate, and maintain faculty advisement.