What Is Wellness?
Wellness is a state of being well, a way of life, a choice, and a lifestyle designed to achieve a person's highest potential for well-being. It is an aspect of health cost management that focuses efforts on maximizing an employee's general health and a decision a person makes to move toward optimal health. Furthermore, the concept of wellness uses daily practices that keeps one "well" and involves maintaining good nutrition, exercise, stress control, and good personal and social relationships. In addition, it is a balance of the mind, body and spirit that results in an overall feeling of well-being which is a process of becoming aware of and practicing healthy choices to create a more successful and balanced lifestyle.
- Being aware and accepting of one's feelings.
- Ability to have outlets for expressing one's emotions constructively.
- Being able to adjust to change and seek positive outcomes.
- Being happy and positive
Environmental and Occupational Wellness
- Acknowledgement and appreciation of one's interdependence with and impact on the natural environment
- Positively contributing to the protection and sustainability of our environment
- Establishing a positive physical living and working environment
- Seeking and integrating opportunities to grow professionally, be challenged and successful
- Garnering satisfaction and enrichment from one's chosen career and the professional relationships developed
- Capability to contribute positively, productively and safely to the collective whole
- A continuous openness to new concepts, ideas, perspectives and cultures
- An unbridled curiosity to seek new and diverse experiences/challenges
- Ability to successfully learn, apply new learning, change, and adapt
- Freedom from illness, disease and need for medications
- Ability to function and regularly participate safely in a variety of activities
- Maintaining a balanced natural diet and regular sleeping habits
- Forming and contributing to positive relationships of mutual respect
- Comfortably and effectively performing a variety of social/group roles
- Seeking and fulfilling leadership roles that contribute positively to your community
- Seeking opportunities for self-enlightenment and liberation
- Progression toward a stronger sense of purpose, personal values and meaning of life
- A state of harmony with self and the rest of the world/universe