Navigate Orientation Main Menu
Apply to be a 2015 Navigate Student Leader
At this time, Navigate is no longer accepting applications for the 2015 Navigate Student Leader Position. Please check back in Fall 2015 for updates on the 2016 Navigate Leader hiring timeline.
Navigate Armstrong Program Overview
Navigate Armstrong is designed to orient new students and their families to the Armstrong community and prepare students for their Armstrong experience from Navigate all the way to graduation. Navigate Armstrong provides new students with the information and activities that support a smooth transition to Armstrong and to promote an on-going relationship between families and the University in support of their students’ success at Armstrong. Navigate Student leaders are an integral part of the Navigate Armstrong Team in supporting the mission and goals of the program including:
- Welcome new students and families to the Armstrong family and engage them with the history, traditions and values of our community.
- Introduce students to the academic life of the university and the opportunities, responsibilities and academic resources of the Armstrong curriculum.
- Assist new students in connecting with the community of their peers, campus and the local community.
- Inform new students of the availability of student services and beyond the classroom opportunities
- Provide new students with information to make reasoned and well informed academic choices
- Support new students in becoming familiar with the campus and local environment
Navigate Armstrong seeks mature and dedicated undergraduate students to assist with implementing the Navigate Armstrong orientation program for spring and summer 2015. The Navigate Student Leader team has the primary responsibility of helping new first-year, transfer, and non-traditional students transition to Armstrong State University. Navigate Student Leaders assist with First-Year Orientation, Transfer/Non-traditional Orientation and Family Orientation, and continue their commitment to serve first-year and transfer students by participating in New Student Convocation, Weekend of Welcome (WOW) activities, and Family Weekend.
Navigate Student Leaders communicate information regarding the Armstrong community, assist new students in connecting with peers, faculty and staff, and serve as positive role models of what it means to live and learn in the diverse Armstrong community. Selected Navigate Student Leaders will be compensated with on-campus housing, a stipend, meals during Navigate sessions, and staff uniforms. Students graduating in May 2015 are not eligible to apply.
Navigate Student Leader Learning Outcomes
The Navigate Student Leader position is intentionally designed such that upon completion of the experience, Navigate Student Leaders will be able to:
- Identify personal strengths, skills, values and identity.
- Effectively communicate in large and small group setting.
- Think critically about complex situations and demonstrate personal responsibility for actions and decisions.
- Manage conflict with civility.
- Effectively problem solve while managing multiple tasks and responsibilities.
- Understand the issues related to first-year students’, transfer students’, non-traditional students’, and parents’ transitional experiences.
- Identify academic and campus resources and provide appropriate referral information.
- Represent themselves and Armstrong State University in a professional manner.
Roles and Responsibilties
- Attend and participate in all training sessions (Session dates TBD)
- Attend all Navigate Armstrong sessions
- Welcome new students and family members to Armstrong and assist them in the initial orientation registration and check-in. Specific tasks are assigned to each Navigate Student Leader person session which serve as a critical role in the orientation program.
- Navigate Student Leaders will conduct campus tours, small group meetings and discussions for new students and their family members.
- Navigate Student Leaders with assist college advisors and representatives, in order to help student understand the class registration process.
- Each Navigate Student Leader must stay in his/her own on-campus room before and the night during an orientation session. Overnight guests are not allowed to stay with Navigate Student Leaders during this time.
- Assist new students with computer lab course registration.
- Work closely with the Navigate Leadership Team and other student leaders to develop, prepare, implement and assess Navigate Armstrong.
- Other duties as assigned
- Undergraduate student enrolled full-time at Armstrong State University currently and for the spring and fall of 2015.
- Good academic standing. Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 required.
- Good judicial standing with the University.
- Completed at least 12 semester credit hours prior to applying.
- Posses a positive attitude, knowledge of and enthusiasm for Armstrong.
- Demonstrate respect for the diverse Armstrong community and exhibit a desire to work well with a diverse group of students, faculty, staff, administrators, new students and family members.
- Exhibit leadership potential, professional demeanor, strong work ethic and willingness to accept responsibility.
- Agree to abide by all University policies and civic laws.
- Desire to learn about the Armstrong Community, programs, services, resources, policies, and procedures.
2015 Navigate Armstrong Sessions
|Monday, June 1 - Tuesday, June 2||Navigate Armstrong Two-day First-Year Session|
|Friday, June 5||Navigate Armstrong Transfer Session|
|Friday, June 19||Navigate Armstrong First-Year Session|
|Thursday, July 9 - Friday, July 10||Navigate Armstrong Two-day First-Year Session|
|Friday, July 17th||Navigate Armstrong Transfer Session|
|Tuesday July 21||Navigate Armstrong First-Year Session|
|Friday July 31||Navigate Armstrong First-Year Session|
|Tuesday, August 11||Navigate Armstrong Transfer Session|
|Thursday, August 13||Navigate Armstrong First-Year Session|
Additional meeting and training dates are currently being planned and will be announced during the interview process. Please consider your summer class schedule before applying to be a Navigate Student Orientation Leader.
2015 Student Leader Selection Timeline
November 3rd: Applications available
Friday, January 16th at 11:59 pm.: Application Deadline
January 19th - January 21st: Review of applications and interviews scheduled
January 22nd and 23rd: Group Interviews
January 27th - 29th: Finalist Individual Interviews
Week of February 1st: Leaders Notified