Information Technology Services
Desire2Learn Quick Tips for Instructors
This page will provide tips that have been shared by other instructors and staff to assist with course creation.
Course Content - To hide enumeration (i.e. Module 1, etc....)
- Click Content (from the home page)
- Click pencil icon to edit module
- Check box for hide enumeration for this module
- Add or modify the Title field for the module.
Discussion - Audio Post
- On a Windows and Mac the audio tool works in Chrome.
- You will see a message stating Denied by Flash until you select radio button for Allow in the Adobe Flash Player Settings window within Desire2Learn.
- This option is available for both instructors and students.
Gradebook - Releasing Final Grades to your students
- Select the Grades tool from the Navigation bar
- Select the Manage Grades link
- Go to the Final Calculated/Final Adjusted Grades area and select the yellow ruler with the green check mark on it – this will take you to see all of your students.
- Place a check mark in the box next to the yellow ruler with the green check mark then select the eyeball icon.
- This will place a check mark in the box to the right under Final Calculated/Final Adjusted Grade for all of your students.
Gradebook - View Student Grades
To view the individual student grades in the grade book
- Select grades from the Navigation Bar
- Select User List
- Select "Switch to Spreadsheet View"
Quizzes - Feedback to students
- Then when an instructor has provided feedback the student will have a link to select to view when looking at their quiz attempt.
Quizzes - How to add images to quiz questions
- All the images need to be saved on the computer. You can copy and paste from the clipboard (only in Explorer - not Firefox), but it's better to do it from a saved jpeg. There's two different ways of adding the image.
- Option 1: A test that has mulitple questions that refer to the same image. In this case, add the image in the header under properties. Click on the add image icon when in the edit mode for the header and it will allow you to choose the file. Upload image and then save the quiz. This way, the image comes up in the quiz with all the questions listed underneath.
- Option 2: Allows you to add an image to a single question. Under Layout/Questions tab click on Add/Edit Questions. Click the question to which you want the image added and click on the pencil icon under Edit. In the next screen click Add a File and select the image file from your computer. Click upload and then save. Go back to the quiz and click save quiz once all the images have been added to specific questions.
Quizzes - Releasing Quizzes to your students after completion
- The box within the Quiz tool should be checked as "allow attempt to be set as graded immediately upon completion".
- Next add an additional view under the View Submissions tab.
- Set the time that you wish to have it begin being displayed to your students.
- If you have given your student’s only one chance to take the exam, the only they will see is Attempts Completed.
- Now they need to choose Submissions, and then select the Attempt 1.
- Also go to the Restrictions tab and change the time and date so your students can see their exam/quiz.
Student View Access
- The student view access that is available through Desire2Learn does not show the grades and quiz feedback as it appears for students.
- Instructors can request to have a student account created and added to there course to be able to view all the tools the same way a student can.
- To make this request please send a request to email@example.com and include the courses that you want this account to have access to.
Unenroll Students Process
Instructors have the ability to unenroll the students that no longer need access to your course.
- Go into your course,
- Select classlist,
- Select the box next to the students you wish to remove.
- Located at the top or the bottom is a person icon with a red minus sign next to it, just click on the red minus and you can unenroll the selected students from your course.
Please send additional tips to share with colleagues to firstname.lastname@example.org