Information Technology Services
5 Tips on How to Avoid Viruses
- Be wary of email from people and organizations with whom you are unfamiliar.
- When opening an attachment, save and then scan the file before looking at the enclosure.
- Turn on Macro Virus Protection in Microsoft Office. Go to Tools, General and make sure there is a check next to Micro Virus Protection.
- Do not share passwords or personal information on the Internet. If someone calls and asks you for your password, do not give it out.
- Be careful of viruses but be aware that there are a lot of hoaxes and false warnings. If you ever get an email about the "House and Senate beginning to charge a fee for every email sent," it too is a hoax.
NOTE: IT Services will NEVER request passwords or other personal information via email. Messages requesting such information are fraudulent and should be deleted.
Make sure you are running the latest version of McAfee
McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator is a network application that works with the ePolicy Orchestrator Agent installed on a workstation to schedule McAfee VirusScan installations, virus scans, and virus definition updates.
The McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator Agent is available in the NAL Window for you to install to update your McAfee client.
- Click the Start button, Select Run, Type NAL in the open window, and click OK.
- To begin the install process, double-click on the icon "McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator."
The application will automatically start the install. It will take a few minutes to complete the installation. The current virus icon will disappear and then the icon in the status bar will change to a red "M."
To verify that the agent is working properly, right-click on the icon in the status bar and select McAfee Agent and then select Status Monitor. The Agent Status bar at the top should be green and state " Agent service is now running."
NOTE: Frequently scan your hard drive. (Remember, some computers may have several partitions of their hard drive - meaning there is more than just the C: drive to scan.)
- McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator is set to scan your entire computer every other week. To manually scan your computer be sure you're logged into Novell, go to Start, Programs, Network Associates, Virus Scan.
- Make sure "All Files" is selected and run the scan on the C: drive by clicking on the "Scan Now" button.
- Go to "My Computer," right-click on the A:, C:, or other local drive.
- Select "Scan for viruses."
Email can be a great way to spread a variety of information, including viruses. However, you shouldn't believe everything you read or receive. There are many email hoaxes commonly spread. Before you forward an email with a virus warning, take the time to do a little research - visit McAfee's Email Virus Hoaxes site.
If you have questions, please give the HelpDesk a call at 344.2518 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .