Information Technology Services
Top Ten Tips for Success with D2L eClassroom
For best success with Desire2Learn eClassroom this semester, remember the Top 10 Tips listed below. Save or print this page for reference throughout the semester.
1. Desire2Learn is located behind the Port of Armstrong. The configuration of this username and password is (ab1234) and your default password will be your 6-digit date of birth. It is highly recommended that you change this to at least 8 characters. You can use letters, numbers or a combination of both.
If you do not know your password for the Port of Armstrong, you will be able to reset it from the login screen. You will need your student ID (907……), your Port ID (ab1234), and your password for SHIP. Your password for SHIP is defaulted to your six-digit date of birth unless you have changed it to different 6 numbers. If you do not know your SHIP PIN, you can click below that to answer your secret question. This will allow you to reset your SHIP PIN and your Port of Armstrong passwords. If you are unable to reset your SHIP PIN you will need to contact the Registrar’s office at 912.344.2576.
2. Most online courses will not be available until the FIRST DAY of class. If your instructor has said your course should be available and it is not, contact your instructor. You can find your instructor’s contact information in the directory on your campus website.
3. Your course will not be available until 1–2 business days after you register. This is true even if you register late. If this time has passed, and you still do not have access to your course, contact the Helpdesk at 912.344.2518.
4. Preferred web browsers for Desire2Learn are Firefox 7 and Google Chrome. Internet Explorer is not recommended. For fewer problems during the semester, disable automatic updates on your computer and do not update your browser or Java until the semester is over.
5. To find out if your computer is set up properly for D2L click the link below: https://d2lhelp.view.usg.edu/knowledge.do?sysparm_document_key=kb_knowledge,80d6f09a94e3a000e6eb9ad8fcab2105
6. For best results, especially when submitting assignments or quizzes, use a fast, reliable, hard-wired Internet connection.
7. Clear your web browser’s cache regularly, especially before starting a quiz. For information on how to do this, see the article at the link below: http://java.com/en/download/help/webcache.xml
8. Compose assignments using software such as Microsoft Word, then copy & paste the text THEN attach the document to the assignment. If you attempt to write a lengthy paper within the Dropbox Tool you may time out and lose your work. Lost compositions are NOT recoverable. This is a “true” dropbox, therefore you must attach a document or an audio file for the Submit button to be visible.
9. To minimize issues while taking a quiz, be sure that you do the following:
- Clear your browser’s cache before starting a quiz.
- Close any applications that are not necessary for taking your quiz.
- Open only one browser window or session when taking a quiz.
- Complete the quiz in a timely manner to avoid timing out. Submit your work well before deadlines.
- Save each quiz response as you answer it. Do not try to save all responses individually at the end of the quiz. Saving too many responses at once can cause your quiz to freeze and fail to save the responses.
- You may also want to have a wired connection to your computer.
10. See the D2L Help Center (http://D2LHelp.view.usg.edu) for technical assistance with the Desire2Learn eClassroom. All other questions should be directed to your instructor or institution. To reach the Helpdesk, please call 912.344.2518 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.