To make available to Georgia high school students the opportunity to earn college credit hours as they simultaneously meet their high school graduation requirements by providing financial assistance toward their cost of attendance at an eligible public or private college/university in the State of Georgia.
Students wishing to participate in the Accel program must meet the following criteria:
- Be a high school junior or senior at an eligible Georgia public or private school;
- Be enrolled under the conditions of dual enrollment (taking courses for both high school and college credit);
- Be enrolled in courses that are approved to be covered by Accel. (This generally extends to introductory course work in the areas of English, math, science, history, social sciences, and foreign language. For exceptions to this, see the Dual Enrollment Guidelines page.);
- Be a legal resident of Georgia;
- Be a U.S. citizen or national of the U.S. or have evidence from INS of eligible permanent resident alien status;
- Be in compliance with Selective Service registration requirements;
- Be in compliance with the Georgia Drug-Free Post-secondary Education Act of 1990;
- Not be in default or owe a refund on a student financial aid program;
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress, as defined by the college.