Adult Learners Main Menu
Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)
At Armstrong we realize the value of real-world experience and that learning takes place in various formats. The university works with students from diverse backgrounds to evaluate their prior learning and determine if it is commensurate with the standards and requirements of college-level learning.
- students identify areas of relevant learning from their past experiences
- students submit appropriate documentation demonstrating that learning
- Armstrong evaluates these materials to assess whether academic credit will be awarded.
A total of 45 semester hours can be earned through any combination of CLEP, credit by departmental examination, portfolio assessment, International Baccalaureate credit, and advanced placement credit.
- College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST)
- Independent and Distance Learning Exams
- Departmental Challenge exams: In some courses, where no CLEP option exists, a Departmental Challenge Exam may be given. Please contact the office of Academic Orientation and Advisement to discuss whether or not a Challenge exam may be an option.
Other options for PLA credit
PLA portfolio option: The PLA portfolio option is a process through which students identify areas of relevant learning from their past experiences, demonstrate that learning through appropriate documentation in a portfolio, and submit their materials so that they can be assessed. This assessment determines whether academic credit will be awarded at Armstrong. The university determine if it is commensurate with the standards and requirements of college-level learning. After consulting with the office of Academic Orientation and Advising, a studemt may be approved to enroll in a 2 credit hour course (PLAE, PLAH, PLAL or PLAS 2000) that walks the student through the portfolio development process and subsequently allows the student to submit the portfolio(s) to the Department for final assessment for credit. Evaluations within Departments are performed by train PLA evaluatiors. Credit for the desired course is not guaranteed, even after enrolling in PLAX 2000.
For Advising, Prior Learning Assessment, Challenge Exams and CLEP Information
Office of Academic Orientation and Advisement
212 Solms Hall
To Schedule an Exam
Memorial College Center, Room 204