- Familiarize yourself with the emergency procedures and evacuation routes of buildings in which you live or use frequently.
- Do not open your door unless you know the person on the other side
- Call police for anyone who looks suspicious or does not belong in your residential area
- Be aware of what is going on around you at all times. Awareness is a proven method for increased personal safety.
Avoid walking around campus alone after dark and normal university hours. if you must be out after dark:
- Always travel with others
- Ask an officer to walk with you
- Have your keys in your hand so you don't have to search for them
- Don't forget your alarm button on your car key!
- Be aware of your surroundings. Do not walk and text. Walk confidently and at a steady pace.
- Always let someone know where you will be and when you plan on returning. Arrange a buddy system with a roommate, friend or study partner.
- Practice caution and common sense not only on campus, but around Savannah as well.