College of Education Alumni Named Teachers of the Year
(November 13, 2012) Savannah-Chatham County Public School System (SCCPSS) recently honored 21 Armstrong College of Education alumni as Teachers of the Year for their individual schools and named two university alumni as finalists for the county-wide 2014 District Teacher of the Year award.
The two Armstrong alumni finalists for the SCCPSS District Teacher of the Year honor are Marti Cribbs (Reading Endorsement, 2009) and Linda Byerly (BSED,1993; M.Ed., 1997), who will compete against two other local finalists. The winner will be announced at a special gala on January 31, 2013.
Fifty-one Teacher of the Year candidates from every school in the district recently gathered at the Savannah Morning News in Savannah for a reception where the finalists were announced. Each teacher was greeted by school district officials and presented with a certificate.
School Board President Joe Buck credited the honorees for the progress the school district has made. Alison Konter, the 2013 District Teacher of the Year, described the teachers as an inspiration to their colleagues and their students. Each of the finalists will serve on the Superintendent’s Faculty Senate next year and present teacher concerns and suggestions to administration for consideration.
After a series of classroom observations and interviews, a committee of educators and former Teachers of the Year will name the 2014 District Teacher of the Year. The District Teacher of the Year will go on to compete for the Georgia Teacher of the Year Award.
Georgia's Teacher of the Year Program annually spotlights the teaching profession and recognizes outstanding public school teachers at the local and state levels. The program is sponsored by the Georgia Department of Education and focuses attention on excellence in teaching.
The following Armstrong alumni were named Savannah-Chatham County Public Schools Teachers of the Year:
• Tiffany Gibbs, Bartlett Middle School
• Dionne Hines, Bartow Elementary School
• Selina Williamson, Coastal Georgia Comprehensive Academy
• Wanda Hopkins, DeRenne Middle School
• Kavonna Bostick, Gadsden Elementary School
• Amy Crosby, Garden City Elementary School
• Marti Cribbs, Georgetown K-8 School
• Jaime McGrath, Gould Elementary
• Carl Muthersbaugh Jr., Groves High School
• Linda Byerly, J.G. Smith Elementary School
• Russell Long, Johnson High School
• Diana Daywalt, Largo-Tibet Elementary
• Tina Schrambeck, Pooler Elementary
• Olivia Williams, Pulaski Elementary
• Monique Hazzard-Robinson, Savannah Arts Academy
• Heather Moore, Shuman Elementary School
• Michelle Gale, Southwest Elementary School
• Lori Clark Jackson, Spencer Elementary School
• Emily Williams, Thunderbolt Elementary School
• Laura Sebastian-Hooks, West Chatham Middle School
• Nancy Jilk, White Bluff Elementary School
University Representatives Meet with Israeli Consul General
Move-In Day! The Class of 2018 Occupies Windward Commons
Cecil “Rock” McCaskill Hired as University Registrar
2014-2015 Moveable Feast Schedule Announced
University Named a Yellow Ribbon School, Tuition Assistance for Military